Are you excited about an opportunity to showcase your skills as a data engineer? Are you looking forward to working in an organization that innovates to change lives? Here’s your shot at being a part of something revolutionary!
BRCK is an African team of software developers, engineers, and technologists. Our flagship hardware, the BRCK, was designed and prototyped in Nairobi, Kenya. We wanted a connectivity device that fits the infrastructure needs of Africa, where electricity and internet connections are problematic both in urban and rural areas. As we laid out what such a device would look like, we realized that the way the entire world is connecting to the web is changing.
The world no longer only gets online via desktops in offices with an ethernet connection. There are multiple devices, and mobile connectivity is crucial. Our mission is to connect Africa to the internet. We believe the last obstacle to connectivity is affordability and our innovative model makes connectivity free to the end user.
The Data Engineer reports to the Moja Core GM under the direction of the CTO. They are responsible for expanding and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for cross functional teams. As a data engineer, you’ll be handling the design and construction of scalable systems, ensure that all data systems meet company requirements, and also research new uses for data acquisition.
You should also know the ins and outs of the industry such as data mining practices, algorithms, and how data can be used. The Data Engineer will work closely with other team members at BRCK to drive the company’s achievement of its goals.
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using ‘big data’ technologies.
- Work with stakeholders at BRCK to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
- Monitoring performance and advising any necessary infrastructure changes.
- Recommend and implement different ways to constantly improve data privacy, reliability, quality and security.
- Install/update disaster recovery procedures.
- Employ an array of technological languages and tools to connect systems together.
- Research new uses for existing data.
- Develop set processes for data mining, data modeling, and data production.
- Ensure that all systems meet the business/company requirements as well as industry practices.
- Build data pipelines to ingest structured and unstructured data.
- Perform full stack software design and development to build frameworks, applications, APIs, data pipelines, machine learning models, etc. to meet business use cases.
- 3+ years of experience in a data engineer role.
- Advanced working SQL & Python skills and knowledge. Experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL), as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures, and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency, and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Strategic thinking with a good understanding and application of commercial principles and view of issues in terms of risks, markets, and added value.
- Strong planning and organizing skills to effectively manage and deliver on multiple deliverables; organize and schedule events; activities and resources and set up/monitor timescales and plans.
- Ability to plan and organize self and work in order to achieve objectives and targets and able to overcome obstacles and move forward.
Results and Achievement Oriented: Strives to achieve results, enjoys measuring others, being measured, and being judged on performance standards and those of others she leads.
Personal Ethics: Proactive, confident, energetic, and able to work under pressure with a positive attitude.
Negotiation Skills: Must be a good negotiator, particularly in changing behaviour and work practices but always win/win.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills: Excellent written and verbal communication skills (articulate) coupled with good listening and critical reasoning skills.
Human Resources Management Skills: Leadership skills, team building, organizational skills, and ability to train, develop, and mentor staff and lead motivated teams.
How to Apply
Please send your CV and a cover letter to hr[email protected] with “Data Engineer” in the subject line.
P.O Box 27178-00100
2nd Floor, Bishop Magua Centre,
George Padmore Lane